Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Living Words

Over the past few weeks, my kids have been memorizing Bible verses. They can easily recite 4 of them now, and they love to do it. It has been good for them in so many ways! I think it has made them more confident (they are always bursting to share the verses with everyone who enters our house!) and helped them with memorizing and reading skills. We have talked at length about the meanings of the verses and many important words in them (sin, trust, kindness, etc) and they have learned a lot. I've also been able to refer back to the verses at opportune moments (I feel much more purposeful when quoting, "Be kind to one another!" than saying, "Stop licking your brother and leave him alone already!!"), which helps to give them a better understanding of the verses, too.

But can I just say how much of a blessing it has been to me?? When my son runs up to me and says "The Lord is with me; He is my helper!" in his cute little 2-year-old way, my heart overflows with love- and thankfulness. When my daughter offers to set the table for dinner and says, "Mommy, I'm going to be your helper like Jesus is my helper!" I am humbled by the awesome work that His word is doing in the hearts of my kids- and in mine.

Don't get my wrong: memorizing verses has not turned my kids into perfect children. There is still a whole lot of disobedience and disrespect, along with the typical hitting, tattling, whining (oh, and licking!), and a host of other toddler behavior. But as we travel this road of motherhood and childhood together, I am so grateful for the gift of God's Word and the way He is weaving it into our daily lives.

Thank you, Lord, for Your living, powerful, awesome Word. Please help me to be faithful to share it with my children as my husband and I humbly and prayerfully attempt to raise them to know and love You!

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." -Hebrews 4:12

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment